Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Step 1 for Weight Loss

The first step to losing weight is not a magic pill, it's not a crazy workout, or a special diet. It's simple in theory but most of us don't do it:

Honesty.

Be honest with yourself. It can be difficult. It can make you sad. So just be prepared. Here's what happened to me (you knew I was just going to talk about myself didn't you?):

I was about 23 and started Weight Watchers. I decided this was going to be my ticket to success. I wrote down my points each day and spent a lot of time in my room away from the kitchen to hold back the temptation. The first couple of days I did awesome! I was excited, I was motivated, I couldn't wait to weigh myself. Then the 3rd day rolls in and the anxiety starts tugging at my stomach. This was the first time that I actually sat through it and thought about why I was feeling this way. I thought about why I wanted to eat when I was clearly not hungry. It brought up sad thoughts about past events but the most prevalent reason was boredom. I was bored. Then something this guy said (I don't remember who it was) punched me in the brain, "bored people are boring people" and I decided I didn't want to be boring. So I started reading. I read and read and read. I became so addicted to books that I would read until I was starving and I STILL didn't want to get up. But of course I did because starving doesn't work.

Whatever reason you eat or hold yourself back from working out - you have to push that reason to the front of your brain and deal with it. Do you eat crap because you don't know that it's crap? Well if you wrote it down and looked it up at www.calorie-count.com then you will see that it's crap and you can make a decision not to eat it so often. Did you're dad tell you that you were worthless? Well if he did that means that someone told him that HE was worthless...you can't believe everything you hear AND it's not going to serve you anyway. So let the past judgments go, they serve no purpose. Were you abused as a kid and feeding yourself to get over the fear, depression, and anger? Ask yourself, is this behavior making me happy? Do you want to relive the past with every cookie you eat and every pound you gain? Or do you want to work towards a healthier happier future?

Honesty will get you there. When you're honest with yourself you're better able to make a choice. Make a choice to stay exactly the same or to make a tiny change to feel better. You have the choice to be sad or to make yourself happy. I always choose to make myself happy because no one else has the ability to.

It's up to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment