Starting a weight loss adventure can be daunting sometimes. We tend to look in the mirror and point out the parts we desperately want to get rid of. We begin to criticize ourselves for overeating, wasting time, and being lazy (even though we're not). We start to play back all of those hurtful comments that we've heard someone else say about our weight. Are you depressed yet?
Well snap out of it! It's time for a new approach. A more positive approach. Visualize your new body. At first this is a difficult thing to do, so I fixed that by actually making a visual aid. I used to watch Regis and Kelly everyday and I marveled at her ripped arms so that was the first body part I looked for. I Googled pictures of Kelly Ripa and I cut out the arms (wow that sounds a little psychotic...stick with me it gets better). I was flipping through a magazine and saw this girl with fantastic legs so I cut those out too. Angelina Jolie's shoulders made the cut. Jennifer Lopez's abs were included. You get the picture. Then I went into kindergarten mode - I got out my glue stick and construction paper and made a collage of my future body. I stuck my beautiful piece of stalker art in a place where I would see it every single day.
Everyday I would look at that picture of mixed up parts and just tell myself that I will have those_(fill in blank)__. Looking at Kelly's arms made me want to lift heavier weights, run longer, and sweat harder.
To date I still don't have that exact body that I have hanging in my office but it doesn't matter. That project stood as a daily reminder of what I wanted to aspire to. I still have it up there and every once in a while I'll imagine my head with those body parts (jeez I sound like something out of Showtime's Dexter). It still serves as motivation to keep pushing even though when I look in the mirror I like what I see.
If you don't like you're body then visualize your head on someone else's body until that body finally becomes yours. It doesn't take a long time. You'll see! Once you start getting into the groove of working out and eating right suddenly you'll look in the mirror and love what you see even if it's not perfection. Love and visualize the future you...don't criticize, don't blame, don't get sad...just keep it positive and happy!
No comments:
Post a Comment